Ochsner Academics Summer Internship for Students (OASIS)
Ochsner Academics announces the launch of the Ochsner Academics Summer Internship for Students (OASIS) program. OASIS provides formative experiences to undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career as a physician, physician assistant, or researcher in the biomedical sciences.
OASIS is offered as a benefit to Ochsner employees for their children interested in applying to a medical or PA school. Students will engage in clinical shadowing, departmental tours, lectures, clinical simulation, and panel discussions. The program gives valuable information and insights for entry and success in medical or graduate school.
- Clinical and academic experiences in medicine at Ochsner Medical Center
- Opportunities to interact with Ochsner physicians and staff who may serve as mentors
- Exposure to innovative cutting-edge technologies in research and clinical care
- Knowledge of key concepts in research and interrelationships between clinical care and research
The 2020 4-week OASIS program is from June 1 to June 26. Students will participate in classroom and clinical instruction Monday through Friday (8:30-4:30 pm) at Ochsner Medical Center, 1514 Jefferson Highway, New Orleans, LA 70121.
Through a competitive application process, qualified students will be selected. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis from December 2, 2019- March 1, 2020 at this site: https://is.gd/OASIS2020. Admission decisions will be made on a rolling basis from March 16 to April 1, 2020 until the class is filled.
OASIS Eligibility Requirements
- Parent (or legal guardian) is a current employee and has completed at least 12 consecutive months of service at Ochsner
- Student is currently enrolled in a university and in good academic and behavioral standing as assessed from a submitted transcript and letter of recommendation. The minimum cumulative GPA to enter the program is 3.00.
- By OASIS program start date, the student will have completed a minimum of 30 academic credit hours toward an undergraduate degree with at least 8 hours in the biological sciences.
Transportation to and from Ochsner Medical Center, food, and stipend are not included in the OASIS program. Participants will not receive academic credit from Ochsner Medical Center. Acceptance is not a promise of current or future employment. Selected students must attend the Ochsner Volunteer Services Department’s orientation/onboarding before the OASIS program start date. Students must also complete a background check, drug screening, and provide proof of health immunizations.
For questions, please contact Dr. Courtney Parke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 504-842-8259.
OASIS Important Dates
Application Open - December 2, 2019
Application Deadline - March 1, 2020
Rolling Acceptance and Notification Period - March 16-April 1, 2020
Program and Orientation Details Sent to Student - April 17, 2020
Program Start - June 1, 2020
Completion Ceremony - June 26, 2020