Ochsner Patient Research Advisory Board (OPRAB)
Join our network of Patient Advisors!
We are looking for Ochsner patients and community members to share your reactions and opinions.
We are looking for Ochsner patients and community members to share your reactions and opinions. Give us constructive feedback on research-related activities at our quarterly video meetings (Full Board Members) or through online surveys and email (All Members). Nominate yourself or others by October 31, 2020.
Next OPRAB Meeting: October 14, 2020 10am - 12pm with REACHNet Investigators
Congratulations!: March 31, 2020 marks the 5 year anniversary of the formation of Ochsner Patient Research Advisory Board!
We've gone virtual!
- To get your materials and ideas presented at an OPRAB meeting, for formal feedback, we'll need 10 days advance notice.
- If you have want patients to give a reaction to the look and language of brief set of materials (e.g. flyer, survey), then email us at least 3 business days ahead of your deadline.
Why Patient Advisors for Research?
It's one way to keep patients at the center of why and how we do research. Patients-first research is necessary to deliver what patients need and addresses their preferences. We can do this in a way that makes sense for patients and their families. Service. Members are a voice for themselves and the community.
How Does the Feedback Session Work?
The Research Team presents its research and asks patients for general reactions or specific feedback.
OPRAB members answer according to expertise as patients and/or caregivers and share additional concerns. The Research Team answers their questions and clarifies any information.
The OPRAB feedback is summarized and returned to the Research Team. The Research Team decides what ideas to act upon and may return to the OPRAB for additional collaboration.
Patient Communication Resources
- NIH CLEAR COMMUNICATION
- NIH WHAT ARE CLINICAL TRIALS
- IOM INFORMED CONSENT AND HEALTH LITERACY TOOLKIT
- HEALTH LITERACY UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS TOOLKIT, 2ND EDITION
- TEMPLE HEALTH ICF TOOLKIT SAMPLE CONSENT FORM
- LACATS HEALTH LITERACY CORE TOOLKIT
- RISK COMMUNICATION INSTITUTE VISUAL AID TOOLS
- OCHSNER CLINICAL RESEARCH INFORMATICS –E-CONSENTING CONSULT
- CDC EVERYDAY WORDS FOR PUBLIC HEALTH COMMUNICATION
The process is simple. Contact Jewel Harden-Barrios to review your request. We'll decide if a virtual review by email or by web-conference of your project is appropriate and set a timeline.