The Ochsner Health System Research Fellowship Program is designed specifically for qualified international medical graduates who are seeking to develop their research skills and to strengthen their residency portfolios with the long-term career goal of becoming a physician-scientist.
This program provides international medical graduates with the necessary skills to enhance their research careers and pursue graduate medical education in the United States. To date, Ochsner has hosted fourteen research fellows, twelve of whom have matched in a US or Canadian residency program. One of our research fellows includes the first Saudi Medical graduate to have been accepted in a US Neurosurgery residency training program.
At the end of the program, research fellows will be equipped with skills, abilities and documents (such as publications and letters of recommendations), to help them compete for U.S. residency positions.
During this program, research fellows will:
- Develop long-lasting relationship with a medical faculty member who will serve as a mentor to provide guidance on career development, and who will help navigate through the MATCH process.
- Create a network of professional contacts for future support in international medicine.
- Develop critical thinking, analytical, and practical inquiry skills utilizing the latest approaches in the U.S. healthcare and medical research.
- Develop a foundation for putting evidence-based medicine into practice and research.
- Increase skills in critical appraisal, research design and understanding of the entire medical research process through participation in journal clubs with other fellows.
- Potentially publish articles or abstracts in peer-reviewed journals, or present research posters or papers in conferences.
- Gain first-hand knowledge of the U.S Healthcare System and medical higher education through observation shifts and exposure to the latest techniques and treatment procedures in the clinical area of interest.
- Develop personal and group leadership skills necessary for advancement in clinical practice and research.
- Develop strategies for communicating clinical research and medical information in spoken and writing English.
- Gain broad public speaking and presentation experience, and participate in at least one professional conference in field of interest.
- Develop competitive credentials for U.S. residency programs.
- Obtain letters of recommendation from Ochsner Health System medical faculty when appropriate.
PLEASE NOTE: acceptance in Ochsner’s International Research Fellowship Program does not guarantee residency positions.