Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
Ochsner Health is committed to basic science research in pursuit of knowledge that will enhance our understanding of fundamental biological processes and/or improve the quality of health care. This pursuit of quality basic science research requires a commitment to quality animal care. There are multiple physiological and behavioral factors unrelated to experimental design that can affect experimental outcome. Quality animal care ensures that these factors are properly controlled to minimize data variability.
The Ochsner Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is responsible for the oversight and evaluation of the entire Animal Program. Its oversight functions include:
- review and approval of proposed animal protocol and of proposed significant changes to animal use
- regular inspection of facilities and animal use areas
- regular review of the Program
- ongoing assessment of animal care and use
- establishment of a mechanism for receipt and review of concerns involving the care and use of animals at the institution
Ochsner Researchers and Clinicians are required to submit a protocol to the IACUC for committee approval before initiating any activity involving animals. Ochsner’s Animal Program conforms to the guidelines set for by the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and is fully accredited by AAALAC International.
Committee membership includes the following:
- a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine either certified (e.g., by ACLAM, ECLAM, JCLAM, KCLAM) or with training and experience in laboratory animal science and medicine or in the use of the species at the institution
- at least one practicing scientist experienced in research involving animals
- at least one member from a nonscientific background, drawn from inside or outside the institution
- at least one public member to represent general community interests in the proper care and use of animals.
Public members should not be laboratory animal users, affiliated in any way with the institution, or members of the immediate family of a person who is affiliated with the institution.
Contact the IACUC
504-842-8259 | IACUC@ochsner.org (email)